12/13/19

To Remember a War : Eerie, Lonely and Haunting


A friend had shared these artworks in photos while on a trip. I was at awe back then at the shapes and the reminiscences they were expressing. I didn't understand any of the text or the contest, but just seeing these erect symbols in pictures instilled me with a foggy dread and evoked the stillness of grey Eastern Berlin and the clashing communism niched within hopeful Prague. Now with this new video on my feed, I go back to explore again these monuments

"They are located all over former Yugoslavia (Balkan peninsula). These are from Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Croatia. They are all commemorating the evils of war and heroic acts. For instance, the one in Jasenovac (the bird-like sculpture) is located on the place of former WWII Croatian concentration camp Jasenovac (if you google the Jasenovac you will see, it is supposed to be the cruelest and most horrifying camp of WWII). what is fascinating is the level of abstraction and arguably attempt to make peace amongst different nationalities who did despicable things to one another, not only during WWII but also sadly even in the 90s"

I remembered the pictures and I should put them here. I should have done back when I found them, but damn I was so not in the head space adequate to take that sort of actions













All pictures are property of Matej Jasso

0 comments:

Post a Comment