2/25/15

For Whom The Bell Tolls

Reading over and over and over again my favorite Hemingway during this vacation. The quiet of the green is putting me in such a mood.

My first Hemingway was however The Old Man And the Sea, and my dear uncle gave it to me for reading during a February/March, around the end of the second trimester of my final year of primary school. I recall this time perfectly because I was a loss of words to write about the overwhelming feelings I was feeling and I couldn't express or even name them in the small essay exams we had to pass in preparation for the second trimester exam. I recall they were the worst grades I had in essays and writings to this day.

"No man is an iland, intire of it selfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were; any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee...."

0 comments:

Post a Comment